We'd love to hear from you!

Share your feedback or request a post here.

Name

Email *

Message *

Search

February 16, 2012

Welcoming the Canon EOS 5D Mark II to the family


A look at my new 21.1 megapixel, full-frame, with full HD
video, digital box with a hole.

Its been a long time coming but I finally have new gear! I had been shooting with a Nikon D40X for about five years now. This little camera withstood a lot from me! Its small body and price is what caught my attention as a novice photographer five years ago. Although it saddens me to put my sweetheart to rest, I am proud to be the new owner of a Canon ESO 5D Mark II.

I am usually not one to worry about the tech specs of my equipment but as my photography progresses ensuring the quality of my photographs has become more and more important to me.

I believe every type of camera produces a particular image unique in its quality. Some may label it as better or worse while I simply like to see things as different. With new technologies becoming more available it gets easier to forget a camera is simply a dark box with a hole. So why spend thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment you can actually make yourself?

Photography has come a long way from pinhole cameras. The technology put into the cameras we know of today have revolutionized the way we view the world. Some of these technologies have allowed us to see things otherwise not visible to our naked eye. But for photojournalists as myself, it assures quality and performance above all things. Purchasing new equipment was an investment I really had to convince myself of.

Despite word that Canon is coming out with a new version of the EOS 5D Mark II (5D Mark III) I felt the price for the new camera simply does not justify the small changes made to it. So I took advantage of the price drop of the current version instead. After taking the first few shots with my new camera, I couldn’t be more sure about my decision.

Canon and Nikon clearly stand as the two giants of the 35mm industry. I have participated in a lot of Canon/Nikon debates with my peers over the years always backing up my brand blindly.

Finally, One day I decided to take on some research on the matter and dive into the tech specs, quality and benefits of both brands. I then came to find both brands are very respectable and both provide photographers with the necessary technology needed to produce quality images and although there might be lots and lots of discussions on which is better I find them both to be equal, except for one thing. Price!

Ultimately it is my opinion that Canon, although still pricey, gives you more for your dollar. Switching may not be for everyone but I am glad to be part of the Canon family now.


My first picture taken with the Canon 5D Mark II of my dog Dino.



Purple flowers along Mishe Mokwa, the six-mile trail to Sandstone Peak. The trail climbs 1,400 vertical feet to the top of the highest point in the Santa Monica Mountains.



A view of my car (lower left hand corner) as I begin my hike up to Sandstone Peak.



“Shoes” my first Advertising Photography class assignment also taken with the Canon 5D Mark II.



On assignment for the Santa Clarita Signal with the 5D Mark II. Read about it here.



On assignment for the Daily Sundial with the 5D Mark II. Read about it here.



For those interested in taking a peek inside my camera bag... (A) 13-inch MacBook pro, (B) Canon EOS 5D Mark II, (C) Lexar 8GB (X2), (D) Canon 50mm f/1.4, (E) Canon TC-80N3 timer remote, (F) gorillapod, (G) Canon Power Shot A495, (H) Canon LC-E6 battery charger, (I) AA rechargeable batteries, (J) 6GB flash drive, (K) TomTom gps, (L) ChapStick, (M) wallet, (N) mints, (O) Reporters notepad, (P) pens, (Q)“Great Ideas” notepad, (R) headphones, (S) cell phone, (T) keys, (U) and some change...
author About Author: Misael Virgen is a photographer, editor, educator and life-long learner. He currently teaches Digital Photography in San Diego, CA. Read More...

Connect with him on Instagram | Youtube | Facebook | Twitter
We'd love to hear from you! Share your feedback or request a post here. Or better yet, drop me a comment bellow ⬇.

No comments:

Follow Misaellaneous! Stay up to date with the latest photography news, resources and more. Powered by FeedBurner.
X